The David and Bridget Jacob Internship Programme (NOW CLOSED)
The Cavendish Laboratory and the Institute of Astronomy recognise with deep gratitude the support of Mr David and Mrs Bridget Jacob and their establishment of The David and Bridget Jacob Internship Programme. The Programme will support one 4 - 10 week summer internship placement, alternating annually between Cavendish Astrophysics and the Institute of Astronomy. The student should be from a non-Oxbridge higher-education institution within the UK, and should be between their penultimate and final year of undergraduate study. In summer 2017, applications are sought for a placement within Cavendish Astrophysics.
We encourage applications for this placement in any of the following broad areas:
- Dr Will Handley: Astronomical inference: Affine-invariant ensemble sampling for astrophysics - computational and/or theoretical studies of inference techniques for application to LIGO gravitational wave and cosmological data sets;
- Dr Aglae Kellerer: Fibre interferometers for space-based sensing - laboratory-based optical work and data analysis aimed at testing the suitability of fiber interferometers for gravitational wave detection;
- Professor Chris Haniff: System design of optical synthesis telescopes - computational optimization and data analysis studies aimed at optimizing the performance of astronomical interferometers;
- Dr Eloy de Lera Acedo: Global 21-cm cosmology experiments- modelling and calibration of instruments for the detection of the Cosmic Dawn and Epoch of Re-ionization signature signals;
- Dr Ricardo Amorin: Galaxy evolution, spectroscopy and massive star formation and feedback in strong emission line galaxies - analysis of deep spectroscopic data of strongly star forming galaxies with the goal of constraining their properties and evolutionary mechanisms.
Students with interest in any of the above areas who meet the criteria for The David and Bridget Jacob Internship Programme were encouraged to apply by Fri 21 April 2017, after which time selection will take place through interview. Selection will be based on academic merit, and on knowledge and experience relevant to the projects listed above. A one-page expression of interest, together with contact details, an up-to-date CV and any brief supporting material should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org by the deadline.
The successful candidate will receive a ca. £250 per week subsistence payment, will be supported in accessing accommodation in Cambridge, and will be encouraged to experience all that Cambridge has to offer during their internship. The exact length of the internship would be settled in discussion between the candidate and the Lead Researcher of the project.
ASTROPHYSICS SUMMER PLACEMENTS
For those not eligible to apply for the David and Bridget Jacob Internship Programme:
The Astrophysics Group rarely offers summer placements. However, if you are from the UK or EU and wish to apply for a placement, please send your CV to email@example.com. We cannot guarantee any placements, but will forward applications to staff members to see if they are able to offer positions.
WORK EXPERIENCE PLACEMENTS
For all work experience placements, for UK school students (who must be sixteen years of age or older), please see the Cavendish Laboratory Outreach website: http://outreach.phy.cam.ac.uk/wex. Unfortunately the Astrophysics Group does not arrange work experience placements directly - these are arranged via the Cavendish Laboratory.
There are currently no results for this search.